EGL uses tracking technologies like cookies to tailor and improve your online experience on our
websites. As a customer, we value your trust and want to make it easy to understand what cookies are, how we use them to improve your experience on our websites and your options to control them on your devices.
Please read our Cookies Statement below to find out more. If you have any questions regarding the following content, we invite you to contact our Privacy Officer.
How does EGL collect electronic information?
Like most companies, we collect electronic information about you (which may or may not be personal information) using cookies and similar technologies when you visit our websites to personalise and improve your experience.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small file downloaded onto your device when you interact with any online content such as websites, social media sites and apps. The content may be our own, or may be the content of others in which we have an interest, such as our digital banner advertisements.
The information that we collect through cookies may not identify, or relate, to a particular individual. Generally, the information collected through cookies relates to a device used to access online content, such as an IP address or location data about the device (where available and not disabled by the user) and metadata (a set of data that describes and gives information about other data). Cookies may also collect information about the behaviours of the user of the device, such as the websites visited by the user and their activity on the website.
In some circumstances, the information collected through cookies may be combined with information that identifies the end user of the relevant device. This may occur, for example, if you log into your account, or if you interact with certain content (such as a link) that we have sent to you in an email.
Why does EGL allow cookies to be used?
We allow cookies to be used for three reasons:
- First, we allow session cookies to be used when you visit our online content, including our websites. Session cookies enable your device to move from page to page without you having to log in repeatedly. The placement of this type of cookie generally improves your browsing experience. These cookies are removed when you close your browser and end your online session.
- Secondly, we set persistent (permanent) cookies on our website(s) to remember your preferences so that we can improve your website browsing experience. We also allow trusted third parties to set persistent cookies. Persistent cookies will be remembered when you visit the site again and are not removed when you close your browser. These cookies allow us to serve you with targeted advertising and measure
the effectiveness of our site functionality and advertising.
- Thirdly, we use other tracking technologies (such as pixels, beacons and tags) to record your behaviour and activities when you visit our website(s) for the purpose of analytics and targeted online advertising. Collecting this information enables us to:
- assess marketing activities such as what promotions to send to you, when
- send you tailored advertising about products and services that may interest
you. You may receive tailored advertising on the websites you visit in the form
of banner advertising, or on the social media platforms you use
- measure the effectiveness of promotions.
We may for example, access information from cookies set by others such as Google, Adobe, Microsoft and social media platforms.
This information is collected directly by the providers of those features and is subject to the privacy policies or notices of those providers. Please see their privacy policies for further details, including how you can opt out of specific offerings.
Types of cookies used by EGL
We have listed the main types of cookies used by EGL below.
To disable these cookies, please go to the section “What are my choices about cookies?”.
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are needed to provide you with services available
through our websites and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas, maintain your security and privacy against potential risks and fraud activities to enable us to tailor our menu to your location. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the websites to you, the websites might become inaccessible if you block those cookies.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies enhance the performance and
functionality of our websites. While not essential, certain functionality like videos and product
recommendations may become unavailable without them.
- Analytics and customisation cookies: These cookies collect information that is used either
in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used or how effective
our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customise our websites for you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are used to make advertising messages more relevant
to you. They perform functions like preventing the same ad from continuously reappearing,
ensuring that ads are properly displayed for advertisers, and in some cases selecting
advertisements that are based on your interests.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and
content that you find interesting on our websites through third party social networking and
other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes too.
What are my choices about cookies?
You can control which sites and devices allow cookies to be used.
- You can change the settings on the software your device uses to access the internet (e.g. your browser settings). For example, depending on which browser your device uses, you may be able to disable certain third party cookies. If you do disable these cookies, you may find that the websites you intend to visit are not accessible or have only limited functionality.
- You can also control the extent to which you receive tailored advertising facilitated by cookies by changing your settings on the websites on which you receive tailored advertising. For example, you can disable tailored advertising on social media sites like Facebook by changing the settings on your account.
Please note that it may be necessary for you to opt out separately from each device and browser that you use to access online content.
Opting out of cookies may not necessarily remove all advertising from pages you visit. Rather, it may mean that the ads you see may not reflect your interests.
There is a lot of information available about how cookies work and how to change your
browser’s cookie preferences. This includes information at the following links: